Friday, January 25, 2008

Ledger and Owens

As I reflect on my post about Shawn Taylor and how I asked the question "here is a black athlete in America whose criminal record was spoken about in ALL the articles reporting his death. Will the same happen when a white athlete dies who has a record?" I have not found an answer to that specific question yet, but one thing I realized when talking to a friend was, Heath Ledger was found dead with pills spilt around his body and every article I read the day after his death said "accidental death". However when Terrel Owens confused his medication and was hospitalized every article I read said "suicide attempt". The media bias is staggering!
I am still waiting for a white athlete's death to hear if his record is mentioned but hearing about the difference with Ledger and Owens is confirming what I believed to be true.
Will the Church lead the world in racial reconciliation? If not us than who?

No comments: